Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service were called to the county’s only high-rise block of flats, Park House on Saturday 28th October, to investigate a fire alarm activation. Upon arrival it was alleged that the fire alarm was activated due to a resident smoking a cigarette in a communal area, which activated the smoke alarm. The fire brigade in attendance searched the building and no fire was found.
As owner of the Park House building, Ocean liaises regularly with Cornwall Fire and Rescue and conducts familiarisation and evacuation exercises.
Access to all areas within Park House is available to the Fire and Rescue Service if required during an emergency. No issues or concerns have been raised by the Fire and Rescue Service in relation to access or any other fire safety concerns at Park House.
Ocean’s Chief Executive, Mark Gardner, spoke of his commitment to resident safety across the Group’s properties:
“Ocean has a robust fire safety process in place within Park House and resident safety is paramount in all our schemes. A joint six monthly fire safety inspection is carried out with the Fire and Rescue Service and a full-time caretaker is employed to maintain the building and ensure meticulous compliance checks in liaison with our dedicated Health & Safety, Neighbourhood Services and Property Services teams.”