Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Changes to Rent and Service Charges

Posted on


It’s coming up to that time of year when rent and service charges are reviewed. Here are some Frequently Asked Questions to help you understand the changes.

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the questions below to jump straight to the answers.

Where can I get information about my rent?

My rent is paid by Housing Benefit.  Do I need to do anything?

I pay my rent by Direct Debit.  Do I need to do anything?

I pay my rent by Standing Order.  Do I need to do anything?

Why is my rent different to my neighbour’s?

What is a Service Charge?

Service charges and Universal Credit

What is a personal charge?

Why has my service charge changed?

Where can I get help with paying my rent?

How To Pay



Where can I get information about my rent?Banner-My-Ocean-GC-sign-in-sign-up

‘My Ocean‘ is a personalised online service where you can login to view your rent account and repairs via the website.
To register, click the Sign in/Sign up link at the top of this page.

By Text
Ocean is always keen to improve our services to our customers, so if you are comfortable using your mobile phone to send and receive text messages, you can keep up to date with your rent account by text.  It does not cost anything to receive texts from Ocean and you can send texts to us at your normal rate, network charges may apply.

If you would like to start using our texting service, please phone 01726 874450 to register your mobile phone number with us or use our online contact form to tell us your contact details, making sure you provide your preferred email address and mobile phone number.

Register your number

Once your mobile phone is registered with Ocean, just text any of these commands to our new text number:

Icon Mobile Text sml 07971 834834

BAL – for a balance enquiry
PAY – to find out about your last rent payment
CARD – to order a replacement payment card
RENT – If you require some help and would like us to call you back

Back to the top

My rent is paid by Housing Benefit.  Do I need to do anything?

We will tell the Housing Benefit team about the new charges and they will send you a new Housing Benefit entitlement letter around March/April time. Housing Benefit will also inform us of your new entitlement.  If you pay part of your rent yourself you may need to increase your payments.

You can access your Housing Benefit account online to get up to date information about your claim at  Select the option to view your benefits account online.

Please remember that your Housing Benefit claim is your responsibility, and if you have had a change in your rent, personal circumstances, your income or your household size, you must tell Cornwall Council Housing Benefit.

Icon phone sml Tel 0300 1234 121

Icon Email sml Send an Email

Icon online form sml Visit Website 


Back to the top

I pay my rent by Direct Debit.  Do I need to do anything?

If you pay by Direct Debit you don’t need to do anything. We will make the necessary adjustments to your regular Direct Debit payment.  You will be notified of your new payment schedule for the next twelve months in mid-March.

Back to the top

I pay my rent by Standing Order.  Do I need to do anything?

If you pay by Standing Order, you will need to adjust your payment amount to reflect the new rent/service charge.

Back to the top

Why is my rent different to my neighbour’s?

Your rent may be different to your neighbours depending on the type of tenancy you have.

Back to the top

What is a Service Charge?

Service charges cover the day to day running costs of the areas that are shared at the scheme where you live. The most common services include grounds maintenance for your estate, and cleaning of communal areas.

Service charges also cover the cost of maintenance and repair to equipment within shared areas such as lifts, communal TV aerials, door entry systems and fire equipment.

Back to the top

Service charges and Universal Credit

Some working age tenants will be in receipt of Universal Credit which rolls 6 benefits including housing benefit into one new benefit.

The government rules on Universal Credit mean that in some cases not all of the service charges due will qualify for Universal Credit.

Your increase letter will tell you which charges are eligible for Universal Credit, and it is your responsibility to inform the Department of Work and Pensions about eligible service charges on your property.

Please contact the Universal Credit Service Centre on 0345 600 0723 – lines open 8:00am to 6:00pm Monday to Friday.

Back to the top

What is a personal charge?

Some residents also pay a personal charge and this is shown as a separate charge on your schedule. For example, charges that relate only to your property such as utility costs. Personal charges are not eligible for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Back to the top

Why has my service charge changed?

Your service charge is based on how much we know or estimate it will reasonably cost to run the services at your scheme or property for the year to come. We base our calculations on what we spent in previous years along with our knowledge of issues where you live. This may result in either an increase or decrease depending on how costs have risen on your scheme during the year.

Back to the top



Where can I get help with paying my rent?

Ocean’s Customer Accounts team is here to provide advice and assistance to any Ocean customer who is worried about paying their rent. If you have any concerns about this please contact us. We are here to help.

Back to the top

We hope this answers your questions about the changes to your rent and service charges

If you have any other questions relating to this change please:

Icon phone sml Call Customer Services: 01726 874450

Icon Email sml Send an Email:

Icon Facebook sml Find us on Facebook

Back to the top


How to Pay

Direct Debit

Download the Direct Debit form.

DD icon
Your rent for the whole year is added together and divided into 12 equal payments, which are collected automatically from your bank account on the first working day of the month.
Please complete the form and send it back to Ocean Housing.

Standing Order

Download the Standing Order Mandate

SO icon
Your payments are calculated the same as for Direct Debit, but you have to fill in the bank mandate each time your rent changes and give it to your bank. You can choose between weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments, and also the day that the payment is made.
Complete and send to your bank.


All Pay icon

Mobile APP

Download the Allpay APP 

All Pay payment app icon


By Phone

phone icon
We can take rent payments over the phone if you wish to pay by debit or credit card.

Ocean Housing

During Office Hours 8.30am-5pm

01726 874450

Allpay Service


0844 557 8321


Icon Group logo - CTA
Please write Cheques and Postal Orders payable to Ocean Housing Ltd, including your tenancy name and address on the back for reference, and send to:
Ocean Housing Ltd
Stennack House
Stennack Road
St Austell
PL25 3SW

In Person

Take your Ocean Housing Allpay card with you when paying in person, either at Ocean’s Head Office, at your local post office or wherever you see the PayPoint sign.

Find your nearest Post Office.

Post Office icon

Find your nearest PayPoint.



Ocean’s Head Office.

Icon Group logo - CTA

View Ocean Housing in a larger map

Back to the top

Leave a Reply

Information and advice about Coronavirus (COVID-19)Read more
+ +