Transfer Ownership

We understand that personal circumstances change from time to time and you may need our assistance to update the ownership details of your home. For instance this may where joint owners decide to separate and one owner decides to transfer their ownership to someone else or into the sole name of the joint owner. It may also be the case where an existing owner wishes to add a partner’s legal interest.

What you need to do

  1. Firstly you will need to provide Ocean with written confirmation from the person that is to be removed, confirming that they want to be removed and are doing so at their own free will (if a joint to sole transfer).
  2. We will also require written confirmation from your mortgage lender that they are happy for the transfer to take place if you are transferring from sole ownership into joint ownership, the mortgage offer from your lender will provide the confirmation that they are happy to become a joint owner.

Once we have approved your request, you will receive written confirmation to this effect and it will then be necessary for you to instruct a solicitor to undertake the transfer on your behalf. Your solicitor will also be responsible for ensuring that the HM Land Registry is updated with the changes.

There may be a restriction on your Land Registry Title which requires evidence that you have complied with the necessary requirements; Ocean will provide a ‘Certificate of Compliance’ if it is satisfied that you have followed the correct procedure.

For all transactions of this nature there is an administration fee payable for dealing with your application. We make a charge to cover the cost of providing a service to you.

If you have any questions about transferring your property then please contact the Home Ownership Advisor.