UC – Does this affect me?

If you are of working age (aged between 18 and the qualifying age for Pension Credit), and claim any of the existing 6 benefits, you will most likely be affected…

Universal Credit will replace:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Who will be affected?

The first people affected will be those that have a change to their circumstances that would mean a change to their existing benefits or people making a new claim.


If there are no changes in your circumstances you will be contacted by the DWP in due course to advise when you need to make a claim for universal credit.

If you’re already claiming one or more of the benefits being phased out, you should carry on claiming as normal. You don’t need to do anything until you hear from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about moving to Universal Credit, unless you have a change in circumstances.

Act Now

Now is the time to talk to us for advice and to set up your Hi-£5 direct debit to build a credit buffer on your rent account.

Check your eligibility

Go to the GOV.UK Universal Credit website for a summary of who is eligible to claim Universal Credit.

Icon online form sml  www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility


Already Claiming UC?

It’s important that you contact us as soon as you sign up to Universal Credit with the Jobcentre. We will go through the finer details of the Housing Cost element of your UC claim, to make sure you are claiming the right amount.


If you would like help with opening a bank account or budgeting contact our friendly Welfare Advice Advisors.

Icon phone sml Tel 01726 874450
Icon Email sml Send an email
Icon online form sml Talk to Us