Fire Safety

Watching this short video and reading this page could save your life. In case of fire call 999.

What to do in case of a fire

House Fires – GET OUT, STAY OUT AND CALL 999!

  • Don’t tackle fires yourself. Leave it to the professionals.
  • Set off the fire alarm if there is one.
  • Keep calm and act quickly, get everyone out as soon as possible.
  • Don’t use the lift.
  • Don’t waste time investigating what’s happened or rescuing valuables.
  • If there’s smoke, keep low where the air is clearer. If available, use a dampened cloth as a mask to avoid smoke inhalation.
  • Before you open a door, check if it’s warm. If it is, don’t open it – fire is on the other side.
  • Call 999 as soon as you’re clear of the building. 999 calls are free.

Clothes on fire – STOP, DROP AND ROLL!

  • Don’t run around, you’ll make the flames worse.
  • Lie down and roll around. It makes it harder for the fire to spread.
  • Smother the flames with a heavy material, like a coat or a blanket.

Blocked escape routes

  • If you can’t get out, get everyone into one room, ideally with a window and a phone.
  • Put bedding around the bottom of the door to block out the smoke, then open the window and call “HELP FIRE”.
  • If you’re on the ground or first floor, you may be able to escape through a window.
  • Use bedding to cushion your fall and lower yourself down carefully. Don’t jump.
  • If you can’t open the window, break the glass at the bottom corner. Make jagged edges safe with a towel or a blanket.

Helpline

If you are concerned about fire safety you can call a free 24 hour fire safety advice helpline.

0800 3581999


Making your home safe and be prepared

Here are some tips from the Fire Brigade:

  • Fit smoke alarms – for £5 it could save a life.
  • Keep your smoke alarms free of dust and test them once a week.
  • Make a fire action plan so everyone in your home knows how to escape if there is a fire.
  • Keep the exits from your home clear, so that people can escape.
  • Make sure everyone in your home can easily find keys for doors and windows.
  • Get into the habit of closing doors at night. If you want to keep a child’s bedroom door open, close the doors to the lounge and kitchen, it may well help save their life if there is a fire.

Prevention – most common fire hazards

In the Kitchen

  • Take extra care in the kitchen – accidents while cooking account for over half of fires in the home.
  • Never throw water on a small kitchen flames. Use a wet tea towel to smother the fire.
  • Never leave young children alone in the kitchen.
  • Take extra care when cooking with hot oil and consider using a deep fat fryer as this is controlled by a thermostat.

Electrical fires

  • Don’t overload electrical sockets.
  • Don’t leave the TV or other electrical appliances on standby as this could cause a fire.
  • Always switch off and unplug electrical appliances when they’re not in use.
  • Keep electrics away from water.
  • Don’t put anything metal in the microwave.

Candles

  • Never leave lit candles in rooms when nobody is there or in rooms where children are on their own.
  • Make sure candles are in secure holders on a surface that does not burn and away from materials that could burn.

Cigarettes

  • Make sure cigarettes are stubbed out properly and disposed of carefully and never smoke in bed.
  • Keep matches and lighters where children cannot see or reach them.
  • Take special care when you are tired or when you’ve been drinking.

Fire Risk

Often we do not realise that we are causing a fire hazard. These examples can increase the risk of fire:

  • Leaving a push bike in the corridor of a block of flats
  • Storing a pram in the stairwell
  • Putting your rubbish in the communal hallway overnight before collection,

It is equally dangerous to store rubbish or other inflammable materials outside against the walls of your home or next to any garden or boundary fencing. Read our ‘True Story’ below.

All these hazards are easy to avoid. By keeping communal areas and stairwells clear and disposing of rubbish properly, you are helping to keep you, your family and neighbours safe.

A true story

During the summer there was a fire in an Ocean property. Fortunately nobody was hurt.

The fire was started deliberately in the garden and it spread very quickly because of the large amount of rubbish stored outside the home.

It was only due to the prompt response of the local Fire Brigade that nobody was injured and neighbouring properties were not damaged.

Our concern is for your safety and we want to remind you how important it is to keep gardens and  communal areas free of rubbish and any inflammable materials.

 

 

Print