When you move into your new property, you will have to pay council tax. You should also make sure you let your local council know when you move out of a property.
Cornwall Council produces two versions of the electoral register every year – the full version and the edited version. The full register lists everyone who is entitled to vote.
Cornwall Council is responsible for collecting household rubbish once a week. However, you should:
- Use bins if they are provided
- Pack your rubbish in plastic bags when using shared facilities; and not put bulky items down rubbish chutes as blocked chutes are expensive to clear and can be a danger to health.
- Ensure your rubbish is kerbside by 7am on collection day, cover it with an old sheet or blanket to prevent birds and animals opening the bags.
You are responsible for removing all other rubbish that the collection service will not take.
If you want to find when your household rubbish and recycling is collected, please visit the website and click on the ‘My Area’ on the top right and enter your postcode when prompted.
It’s easier than ever now as we have regular kerbside recycling collection services covering the whole of Cornwall and recycling banks all over the county in car parks and at supermarkets. Find out more on the Council website:
If you have large items of rubbish such as old beds or washing machines to get rid of, please visit the Council website.
NB This is a chargeable service which is charged as follows:
The charge depends on the items. See lists for details:
- Standard bulky items – £23 for up to four items, extra items £10 each (maximum of 4 extra items)
- Small special bulky waste items – £23 each
- Large special bulky waste items – £36.50 each
To arrange and pay for a collection please use the link above or call 0300 1234 141.
You can also take your bulky waste to our household waste recycling centres. Or you can donate usable furniture and household items to RE:SOURCE in Bodmin, GOFA in Penzance, Cornwall and Plymouth Furniture Reuse Project or a number of charity shops throughout Cornwall.