You will need to register with Cornwall HomeChoice first. Click here to register.
Once you have registered, use our ‘Find a Home‘ page to look at our available properties. If you like a property, click the ‘Bid’ or ‘Apply’ button at the bottom, to take you through to the Cornwall HomeChoice application.
Cornwall HomeChoice Bidding opens on a Thursday and closes on a Monday.
This is the lettings process step by step.
Step 1 – Register
You will need to register with Cornwall HomeChoice first. Click here to register and they will be in contact with your ‘banding’ (according to your housing need).
Step 2 – Bid
Once registered, applicants can bid for a property that is advertised on Cornwall HomeChoice (preview Ocean properties in Find a Home).
Step 3 – Shortlist
From a shortlist, one applicant is nominated per property. The nominated applicant is then contacted by Ocean.
Step 4 – Initial Checks
Ocean then runs initial checks:
- to make sure the applicant is a match for the property
- to check for any rent arrears or other breach of tenancy
- to check whether the applicant has been a previous tenant with another social landlord.
Step 5 – Letter of Nomination
If there are no reasons to refuse the nomination at this stage, applicants will receive a letter letting them know that:
- they have been nominated
- their application details are being verified (to check they are who they say they are)
- they have 3 working days to confirm their interest in that property.
NB This is not a formal ‘offer’ letter at this stage.
Step 6 – Verification
As part of the verification process, Ocean will contact applicants by telephone or sometimes visit in person to confirm interest, suitability and personal details.
Step 7 – Affordability Check
One of the Customer Accounts Team will be in contact to carry out a financial assessment:
- to check the applicant can afford the rent
- to agree a rent payment plan
- to help the applicant complete the Housing Benefits form (if applicable)
Step 8 – Viewing
Tenants will be shown the property to see the condition of it before they sign the tenancy agreement.
Step 9 – Sign Up
Once the applicant accepts the offer, Ocean will invite them to formally sign up for the property. At the sign up, applicants will:
- be explained important facts in the tenancy agreement
- sign a tenancy agreement
- confirm a tenancy start date (Monday following sign-up day)
- confirm a move date
- run through the Home User Guide (HUG) and Tenants’ Handbook
- complete data forms
- pay for the 1st week’s rent or contribution to the rent.
After that, all rents and service charges due in respect of rented dwellings are payable in advance on a Monday in accordance with the tenancy agreement.
New Tenants will receive a visit from their Neighbourhood Services Officer shortly after moving in.